Friday, February 17, 2006

Go straight to jail, do not pass GO.

On Monday, I went in for my regular appointment with Lister, but I wasn't doing so well. I had the cold/cough that I posted about earlier, I had a touch of conjunctivitis, but then on top of that on Sunday I seemed to develop a bit of mouth sores, more intense GvH rash (and gastro-intestinal involvement) as well as a low grade fever.

What was a 100.3 fever on Sunday manifested itself higher on Monday. By the time I was done waiting for 2 hours in the waiting room to see Lister, my fever had managed to return and squidge it's way up to 101.2. Lister came in looked me over a bit and asked me how I felt. I said, "Like shit. Fix it, pleeeease." I did my best to give him puppy eyes, but I'm not sure how much of that came across through the crusty pink-eye. He said, "Yeahhhh. I think we're going to take you in house for a bit."

I think it's a clear sign of how under the weather I was feeling, because I was actually kind of happy to hear that. Really, it was just too many symptoms for me to be battling at the same time. It's amazing how shitty you feel when you have a fever. It just seems to take everything down a couple of notches.

Luckily, within just one day I was already starting to feel better. By Wednesday night, I was feeling MUCH better.

It seems that they want to cool down the GvH now, so instead of putting me back onto higher amounts of Prograf or Cellcept, I am keeping the 1mg of Prograf, every other day, and 120mg of Prednisone. Even though I'm not crazy about being on a steroid (I've heard about some less enjoyable side-effects from other patients), it seems like it is better than the Prograf for me at this stage. Apparently, the Prednisone (I may not be spelling this correctly) will cool off the GvH activity while leaving the GvD activity alone. That is GOOD and that is what we want. Cool.

So, yeah. That was my week. In the hospital. I just got out this afternoon. Fingers crossed that I'm out of there for a while. A girl needs some peace a quiet for a bit. It's so ironic that the only time that you body can heal itself is when you are sleeping and that while in the hospital is it IMPOSSIBLE to get un-interrupted sleep.

No comments: