Monday, June 26, 2006

Since I haven't posted for a while...

I figured that I SHOULD. ;-) Unfortunately, though, there isn't much to update on. With the appointments with Lister spread out to every 3 weeks, nothing (medically at least) happens between that time. Which is GOOD (don't get me wrong), but there isn't as much to report on as there was previously.

In the meantime, I have been keeping busy painting large plywood stars. Why you ask? The city of Pittsburgh won the hosting of the Baseball All-Stars game this year. To celebrate they want to fill the Penn Avenue corridor of downtown with plywood stars that are 4', 6' and 8' in diameter. They put out a Call for Artists to submit design proposals the stars in May "to depict and/or express actual events, places and people from Pittsburgh’s past, present and potential future that represent our city’s brightest citizens, hopes and amenities."


I submitted two and they were both accepted. The first, a Pittsburgh token, was Mr. Fred Rogers (he's on a 4 foot star). The second, is George Ferris, the inventor of the Ferris Wheel (he's on a 6 foot star). I finished painting them on Saturday and started the final glazing and varnishing layers yesterday. Of course, if I could just get this weather to dry up a bit, it would greatly help the drying time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Stace. I like the king on the Mr. Rogers star, oh and the owl! Both cool paintings. It seems like a great way to get people to see your artwork.

thefeather said...

Thanks, Gen! Yeah, it's a start. We'll see if I actually get any recognition from it.

I'm also working on regular paintings now for a show (hopefully) next spring at a local gallery. I got some new acrylics that work like oils (taking longer to dry) and it's making some really interesting flesh tones!! I'm very excited at how they are turning out. :-) As soon as I have an actual series of stuff, I will put them up on a separate website: www.stacyraegross.com . There's nothing there but a placeholder page right now, but I figured buying the domain would encourage me to get a move on putting more stuff up.

Anonymous said...

Nice Stace, great chance! you are a very hot artist now, you are in a streak!

Juan