Monday, April 03, 2006

Newness

Tonight, I looked through images on the internet of babies for a card I wanted to make for a friend who just had a baby. Actually, she's the first of my friends to have a baby, so I'm ridiculously excited to go and see her and the new one tomorrow.

As I'm looking at the images of the babies, in all their baldness with chubby cheeks and big eyes, I can't help but think of cancer patients and how they look surprisingly similar. Then I remember that when you receive your last dose of treatment, it is considered your "birthday." For instance, mine would be December 12th, because that was the last day that I received chemo with this transplant. Some treatment centers actually give you a balloon or card to celebrate. I just thought that was an interesting parallel--being bald and chubby-faced, and in the case of donor transplants new DNA--again...a new life.

No comments: